Friday, July 22, 2011

Swiss Chard... More Like Swiss Blah-rd

Well, my swiss chard frittata wasn't what I thought it would be. First of all, it took forever to finely chop the swiss chard. My chopping skills got very sloppy towards the end of my big bunch of swiss chard.

I sauteed the onions (just two tablespoons) in a little bacon grease and then added the swiss chard and cooked just until it wilted. I tasted the swiss chard at this point and it was pretty tasteless. The texture reminded me of spinach.

Next I added some dried basil and oregano and then six beaten eggs. I stirred it just a bit and then let the eggs start to cook up. When it was firm around the edges, I put it under the broiler for about five minutes.


The first bite I took was straight swiss chard. Blech. I added lots of salt and pepper, and it wasn't that bad. I cut the fritatta into wedges and put it in the fridge to eat later. Greg tried a piece and liked it.

While I really like the concept of a fritatta, I'm not too crazy about the swiss chard. I'd love a fritatta with ham, sausage or bacon... broccoli, sweet potatoes, or green peppers... and even though I haven't had cheese in a really long time, I'd love some cheese in my fritatta.

Now that I can scratch swiss chard off of my vegetables-to-try list, I've got to come up with a new one for next week. I didn't like kale, and now I don't like swiss chard. Maybe next week's veggie will be a keeper... yeah, whatever!

2 comments:

Jenni (Mac) D said...

I'm sorry your Swiss Chard experiment wasn't exactly amazing. :( Hopefully the next new veggie you try will be better!!!

Lora said...

I'm contemplating eggplant... I've never tried it, but I'm thinking I need to try a new veggie that's not a green!

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...