Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Little Chicken-Airplane-Solider

Izzy's first week of swim lessons is over! As the youngest three-year-old in her class, I have to say she did a pretty good job... of distracting the other three students! Izzy has enjoyed splashing her friends, talking to them with really exaggerated hand motions (I wonder where she gets that from?!), and doing the opposite of whatever her teacher says. The lifeguards know Izzy by name... maybe that's because one of them had to jump in after her when she wouldn't stay up against the wall of the pool! All in all, it's been a fun week, and Izzy has improved her swimming skills. She did perfect "chicken-airplane-soldier" motions with her backstroke for her teacher today!In honor of my little fishy, I'm going to share the recipe we had for dinner last night.

Fish Patty Cakes

2 cans of wild-caught salmon or mackerel (I used three bags of the Chicken of the Sea salmon), drained and flaked

2 eggs, beaten

1/4 cup finely minced onion or scallions, raw or lightly cooked

2 tablespoons chopped parsley or dill

1 teaspoon prepared mustard

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Approximately 1/4 cup coconut flour (more if the mixture is too wet, less if the mixture is too dry)

High quality cooking fat (the recipe says not to use evoo, but that's all I had, so I used it!)

Place drained fish in a large bowl and flake with a fork. Add eggs, onions, herbs, mustard, salt and black pepper and stir to mix well. Add coconut flour a little at a time, mixing well and stopping when the mixture will hold together in a patty shape.

Heat a wide skillet with some fat over medium heat.

Shape mixture into 3-inch patties (don't make them larger or they will be too hard to turn over in one piece.) Keep the patties the same diameter and thickness for even cooking.

Place patties into hot pan and cook until golden, about 5 to 7 minutes. Turn and cook the other side.

Delicious! Greg and I loved them. Izzy took one bite and very dramatically gagged and spit it out. I'll get her to eat and maybe even love fish... yeah, whatever!

No comments:

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...