Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I'm back and better than whatever!

Wow! It has almost been two years since I've blogged. While it makes me sad that I haven't taken the time to write (one of my most favorite things to do), life has been super busy! In the past two years, Greg celebrated his 30th birthday - Vegas style!

Izzy finished her second year at daycare and her first semester in the PPCD program at Alexander Elementary. She is excited for a fun summer filled with swimming and friends!




As for me, I've enjoyed my first two years teaching. It's undoubtedly the most challenging job I've ever had. I wouldn't trade my fifth graders for the world. I can't wait to see what next year has in store for me!

Almost a year ago, I got a full set of braces on my teeth. While I'm excited to have perfect, straight teeth, I'm so ready to be out of these braces! I have to say that the braces have given me some great opportunities...


I am looking very, very young these days!


I have something to talk to my students about other than fifth grade reading!


I even showed one of my students how to apply wax to his braces when they were hurting.


When I want to celebrate a holiday, I can get cool colored bands on my teeth... ok, that's just pushing it. But I am trying to stay positive about my not-so-cool adult braces!


At my last appointment, my orthodontist told me that I'm well over the "one year" mark on my braces, even though I haven't had them on for that long yet. Woo hoo! All of that flossing, weaving in and out of the wires, is paying off!


Another big change in our lives in the past six months or so, is our diet. First, we changed Izzy's diet to a gluten-free diet, and now, per the nutritionist, we're all trying a gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free diet. Paleo, if you will. Boy, has this been a challenge! I do have to say that we are seeing some great changes in Izzy's interfering behaviors. She is much more calm and compliant. I am seeing her be successful in normal everyday activities that just weeks ago seemed impossible. While the diet is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do, it's the best thing for Izzy. (And I have to admit, it's been pretty good for Greg and I, too. We both have tons of energy and are really slimming up!)


My goal this summer is to blog more often. I want to start writing and sharing recipes that I come up with through this crazy journey. And I'll be sure to include silly stories along the way. After all, that's how this blog was started... yeah, whatever!


Turkey Burgers with Avacado Mayo


1 lb. ground turkey


1/2 cup salsa verde


1 ripe avacado


1/2 cup dairy-free, gluten free mayo


1 clove of garlic, chopped finely


Combine ground turkey with salsa verde. Shape into patties, and cook over medium-high heat for four minutes on each side. While patties are cooking, scoop avacado out of the shell into a bowl. Add mayo and garlic. Mix. Top turkey patties with avacado mayo. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jenni (Mac) D said...

Lora, I'm so glad that y'all are seeing the benefits of the paleo diet!! My husband has been doing it on and off for a little over a year and I completed a "Whole30" back in February/March. It totally helped my allergies (weird) and it definitely helps Beej keep his blood sugar in check (he's a type 1 diabetic). I am super impressed that you've been able to keep your daughter on this diet, too, since it's not exactly the "norm" for most children (say goodbye to cheerios and fruit loops!). Definitely keep sharing recipes, I love trying out new food stuff! :)

Lora said...

Jenni - it hasn't been easy! That's for sure! Izzy is used to a diet of hot dogs and chicken nuggets! I'm slowly weaning her off of the hot dogs. I found some great chicken apple sausage that she really likes, and so hopefully, her hot dog days are in the past. If she has one now, she has an organic, uncured hot dog, so I don't feel too bad about it. You wouldn't believe the benefits she is experiencing. It's amazing. I'm considering a "whole 30", but not until after our family vacation in a few weeks! It really is encouraging to know that other "real" people out there are eating like this! :)

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...