Monday, March 2, 2009

Plasma... Schmlasma!

One thing I will never understand: Men and their obsession with electronics. I would compare it to a woman's obsession with shoes or handbags, but that would be like comparing apples and oranges. After all, new electronics are much pricer than a new pair of shoes... unless we're talking Manolo Blahnik's!

Just before Greg and I married, he bought the latest, greatest, new TV. It was back when flat screens first came out, and let me tell you, it was his prized possession. That TV did it for him... the first time I saw the TV, he put Saving Private Ryan in the DVD player to show me how good the picture was. (He said you have to have a certain type of movie playing to really appreciate the picture... I don't understand that either!)

Now, about three years later, he needs a new TV. I asked him what was wrong with the one we have, and he gave me a list! It's outdated, it's too small, Matt's TV is so much better, blah, blah, blah! I didn't see a thing wrong with the TV, but boy, did Greg! It's almost like back in school when one of my friends got a pair of Z. Cavaricci jeans... my Levi's weren't so cool then.

I tried to distract him from getting a new TV by reminding him that he would soon be getting a new cell phone. That new gadget should entertain him enough to keep him from thinking about a new TV, right?

Wrong.

Sunday, he did it. He bought a new 50-inch Samsung plasma screen. He brought it in and started to set it up... with the BIGGEST smile on his face. I have NEVER seen him smile like this before. He was so excited! Just as soon as he plugged in the DVD player's wires, he reached for... you guessed it, Saving Private Ryan! (Why?!)

"Wow! Look, Lora! Isn't the picture great? This TV is awesome!"

Well, I didn't want to tell him what I was really thinking... I thought it looked a lot like our other TV; the picture is about the same, and to me, it really didn't look that much bigger! Of course, I didn't tell him that!

"It's great, Greg! That TV is so big that I think we should probably start printing out a flyer with movie times and charge people to watch movies at our house!" (He really liked that!)

I guess it's all right that I think the new TV looks like the old TV. It's just like how Greg can't tell the difference between my open-toed heels and my pointed-toe slingbacks... so maybe he wouldn't notice if I bought a pair of Manolo Blahnik's... yeah, whatever!

No comments:

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...