Saturday, February 28, 2009

Scaredy Man

It all started when we had only been dating for a few weeks. I rented a scary movie to watch with Greg at his apartment. We were halfway into the movie when I thought I'd be funny and try to scare him just a bit. I lunged toward his neck and made my best vampire sound, (not really sure what that was) and I got whacked off of the couch by a terrified Greg. He then told me the story of how he's scared of vampires and hates for his neck to be touched. Oh, ok, I thought. No big deal. I made a "note to self" and went on with the evening.

Fast forward two years, Greg and I are married now, and we just moved to Boston. Our apartment was little, but in a neat area with lots of woods surrounding it. I thought it was nice to go outside and see all of the trees and listen to the birds. Greg, however, was afraid to go outside because he always thought he could hear something and says he saw something resembling Bigfoot out in those woods. So, for the 10 months we lived there, seven of which I was pregnant, I took Lucy out to the bathroom at night because Greg was too scared!

We visited Salem, Massachusetts a few times while we lived in Boston. It was so interesting to hear about the witches and their famous trials. We went to a reenactment of the trials when our friends, Matt and Cristina, came to visit. After the show, we toured an actual dungeon where the witches were held. They had dummies set up in the jail cells, so there was really nothing scary about the tour... until someone popped out and scared Greg! They had a real person in one of the cells! It was great! He jumped on Matt and held onto him for dear life! As we walked through the cemetary and memorial to the witches, I was particularly fascinated by the story of Giles Cory. He was a man-witch that was pressed to death by stones. As we walked around downtown Salem, Cristina and I kept whispering, "Giles... Giles," trying to scare Greg. Then Cristina did the greatest thing she could have ever done... she texted her brother with Greg's cell phone number and had him text Greg pretending to be Giles Cory! Greg was so terrified! That night Greg had to sleep with the TV on and all of the lights on in the apartment. And he wouldn't sleep on his side of the bed that night either because it was too close to the window!

I would have never thought in a million years that Greg would be the scaredy cat that he is. He's such a big, burly, manly man minus the burly and manly, plus a big dose of fright! And you don't even want to know how he acts when he's sick... all I'm going to say is that yesterday I had to take Greg to the urgent care center... for a cold.

I do have to say, though, that there are perks to having this type of a guy for a husband... his not-so-masculine characteristics are ideal when on a typical Saturday night he fixes us both a bowl of ice cream and pops in a chick flick to watch in the bedroom (while wearing our jammies, of course!) He even does facials with me once in a while! Role-reversals aren't so bad after all... yeah, whatever!

No comments:

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...