Thursday, July 26, 2018

I Like Big Books & I Cannot Lie!

One of the greatest parts of summer for me is reading books and visiting the library! I know... NERD ALERT! LOL! But seriously! Here are my favorite reads from this summer:

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis: You've heard me talk about this book in previous posts. It is a life-changer. Since reading this book, I feel like I can really focus on my purpose and making the most out of each day. I've written goals, and I am working hard to conquer them each day. I also started following Rachel on Instagram and listening to her podcast. She shares relevant advice, and I love her conversational tone. I feel like we could be BFFs in real life! (Did I just say that outloud? LOL) I am so, so excited for her new book, Girl, Stop Apologizing. It comes out in March 2019. It's going to to be another fantastic, motivational read!

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah: This is a book that I read recently for my book club. Wow. This is book is in my top ten. Kristin Hannah writes beautifully. She describes Alaska so well that I actually feel like I've been there! Really, it makes me want to travel to Alaska. The first section of the book is the background of the story. Once you get to the next section, the story really picks up and that's when you can't put this book down. It's a beautiful Romeo and Juliet love story with so many real issues that the two face. Everything I've read by Kristin Hannah is amazing, and I would LOVE to read a sequel to this book!

All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin: Emily Giffin is one of my favorite authors. I love her style and how her recent novels are based around current issues. This book is based on a social media/texting mishap and paints a very realistic picture of issues that parents and teenagers are dealing with today. While the story is told mostly from the points of view of the two teenagers, she also shares the perspective of the parents who are involved. This is probably my favorite style of writing. I love it when a story unfolds this way. Putting all of the pieces together and making predictions is my favorite! #nerdalert

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi: So I read this book to be a part of Jimmy Fallon's book club. I'm just that nerdy! Jimmy Fallon asked America to vote on a book to read together this summer, and Children of Blood and Bone was the winner. The reviews have compared this book to the Harry Potter series, saying that Tomi Adeyemi is the next J.K. Rowling. When I heard that, I knew I had to read it. This is one of those books that you get lost in. I would look up and realize that I just read 100 pages in one sitting! While the story has fantastical elements, the characters are very realistic and deal with very real emotions. The next book comes out in March, and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

The North Star by Peter Reynolds: I love to read picture books and look for books to use in reading, writing, social studies, and morning meetings at school. This book talks about going on a journey, and the main character realizes that the journey looks different for everyone. It is a very sweet book that I can imagine teachers reading to students as they send them off at the end of the year. It would also make a great gift for a graduate. It intertwines goal setting and the unknown. We're all following our path to our north star. 

Malala's Magic Pencil by Malala Yousafzai: A couple of years ago, I read I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. Amazing. As a young lady, Malala has inspired so many to stand up for themselves. In this story, the reader sees just how Malala shares her story. This book is great for so many reasons. This book would be great to launch a persuasive writing unit. This book also shares knowledge about Malala's culture. She's from Pakistan. The school where I work has a very diverse population of students. Often, students do not see characters who are like themselves in the books that are read aloud or in the books that are in the school and classroom library. That must change! What a better way to start that change than by sharing this book of how one girl made a huge impact! 

My Best Friend by Mary Ann Rodman: You may remember me sharing that I took part in a writing club via Facebook this summer. Again, NERD ALERT! Jennifer Serravallo, a literacy guru, led this book club and shared many mentor texts throughout the course of the club. This book is one of the books she shared that really stuck for me. It is a story that is very relatable. A little girl wants another girl to be her best friend, but that girl wants nothing to do with her! This book is a well-written narrative that inspires writers with explicit writing moves. 

Currently, I'm reading The Flight Attendant for my book club meeting next week. This book is making me CRAZY! Don't get me wrong; I love it. It's just that the main character, Cassie, drives me bonkers! The story reminds me a lot of The Girl on the Train. Cassie has a drinking problem and can't remember all that happened on a night when something horrible happened. And the worst part is that she lies and lies and lies about it. It drives me nuts!

I'm also listening to the Serial podcast. After checking out Rachel's Rise podcast, I started checking out other podcasts. I know, I know... I'm super late to the podcast party! I heard Rachel (Don't you love how I'm talking about her like I know her personally! LOL!) talk about listening to podcasts, and I thought that this would be a great thing to do while I run. Don't get me wrong; I love listening to music, but I wanted to try out this podcast thing. Some podcasts are motivational, and others are more like listening to an audio book. Serial is like that. It's the story of a young man who was convicted of murder, yet the reporter who tells the story believes that there is more than was shared at his trials. It is so, so good! 

Since I start back to work on Monday, my next read will likely be a professional book or a data report, so I'm not sure when I'll get to the stack of books on my nightstand or start a new podcast... yeah, whatever! 

No comments:

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...