Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Get Out There & Water the Grass!

Recently, we had to replace a ton of the grass in our backyard. After the new sod was down, our backyard looked like a patchwork quilt. You could distinctly see the difference between the new grass and the old. And it didn't help that the summer heat was beating down on the new, tender bermuda. Since I've been home for summer, my daily job has been to water the grass. First, I tried setting out a sprinkler. This worked for some parts of the yard, but I kept having to move it around so that all of the grass got watered. Next, I decided to try using the water hose. By using the hose, I was able to concentrate on areas that were having a hard time growing. Some areas of the yard get a TON of sun and need more water. I made it my goal to get this grass growing! For about a week, I went out in the afternoon, in addition to my morning watering session, to really give those struggling sections the TLC they needed.

As you can tell, I rather enjoyed watering the lawn! (I even started feeling sorry for the grass. No, seriously!) Early in the morning while Izzy was still in bed, I got up to water the grass. This quiet time was great for reflection; I really started thinking about exactly what I was doing. I was paying close attention to the areas that were struggling. I watered those spots thoroughly and made sure that grass continued to grow. This made me think about my work with students, setting personal goals, and, of course, Izzy.

As a teacher, I get to work with students and help them become stronger readers and writers. Sometimes that work is tough. I'm always trying new, different ideas. I've learned that each child and each class of students is different. And if a child isn't understanding the content, it's my job to try something else until he or she gets it. Doing this work isn't easy, and it requires me to get out of my comfort zone. I am lucky to work with fabulous teachers and other instructional coaches who inspire me to do this work.
Aramco Houston Half Marathon - January 2014
Mr. DeLauder inspired me to just keep running!
About four years ago, I signed up to run in my first half marathon. I knew that this was a lofty goal, but still I signed up for it. Once I paid the pricey fees, I knew I would run in the race and complete the run, just to get my money's worth! A few months later, we learned that Greg would be working in Louisiana for the next couple of years. While I was excited for this opportunity for him, I wondered how I would train for the race. Who would watch Izzy while I ran in the evenings? I didn't give up on my goal; I just had to think about the path to my goal differently. I joined the Katy YMCA and started running on the treadmill. This wasn't ideal. I HATED running on the treadmill. However, I set a goal, and I was going to reach it... just in a different way. When I didn't want to go run on the treadmill, I would remind myself of the fact that I am able to run. There are so many who can't. Who am I to complain about running on a treadmill?!

When I think about our journey with Izzy, I think of those who have poured into her, watered her grass. It truly takes a village. Often times, it's frustrating, and we don't see immediate progress. But, oh, there is progress! Each time a Facebook memory pops up in my notifications, and I hear Izzy's sweet little two-year-old voice, I can barely understand her words. Now, I have full-blown conversations with her! Are there still times when I can't understand her? Absolutely. Does this mean that the years of speech therapy aren't working? No way! It may take years to see all of the results from the many different interventions; I hold fast to this quote:

Don't try to rush progress. Remember, a step forward, no matter how small, is a step in the right direction. Keep believing.                                   
-Kara Goucher

Izzy skating with friends - April 2018
Izzy has taught me so much about perseverance. She doesn't give up. Ever. When she sets her mind to something, she will achieve it. Back in the spring, she was invited to four or five birthday parties at the local skating rink. Izzy did not hesitate to skate! Did she fall? So. Many. Times. Did she get back up and try again? You bet. Poor baby had bruises up and down her legs, but she never gave up. We can all learn something from her growth mindset. Just because something is hard, doesn't mean it's not worth working for. It is so rewarding to overcome a challenge and look back on the journey it took to get to that point.

Sometimes we get to choose those challenges we face: training for a race, working toward a degree, volunteering to lead a group. Other challenges are out of our control. What we do when faced with those challenges is what defines us. Do you water that stubborn patch of grass twice a day, or do you just plop a sprinkler down, hoping that a simple solution will solve the problem? Take some advice from my lawn boy experience and from my daughter. Set a goal. Write it down. When it gets hard, don't give up. Do whatever it takes to achieve it. Find someone to hold you accountable.

If nothing else, I hope this post inspires you to go water that patch of dying grass in your backyard... and if you're in the Houston area on this rainy day you're thinking that I've lost my mind... yeah, whatever!

Book Recommendation

If you liked this post, go read Girl, Wash Your Face! by Rachel Hollis. This book inspired me in so many ways. Rachel has a straightforward way of talking to the reader that I absolutely love. After I read this book, I wrote three new goals, one of them to blog weekly. I'm thankful for Rachel's open dialogue and affirmations that in this messy world, things are going to be tough and that's okay. She shares practical ways to find your place and achieve greatness. Read this book!

3 comments:

norma perez torres said...

thanks for sticking to your goals. I am loving your blog and book suggestions.

norma perez torres said...

got my name on it. Thanks for not giving up.

Lora said...

Aww, thanks! I just started listening to the podcast by Rachel Hollis, the author of Girl, Wash Your Face! OMG! It's sooo good! I'm just now getting into podcasts, and I really like listening to them! It's almost like a book on tape!

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...