Friday, June 15, 2018

Life is Like A Playlist

I love to run, but lately, I’ve struggled with motivation. Usually, changing something up, running a different path or listening to different music, helps. So, last week, I hopped on Amazon Music and started browsing. When I found the 2000s Hip Hop Cardio Blast station, I just knew this station would pump me up! As I was running, I time-traveled back to Tahlequah, Oklahoma to Northeastern State University. Granny’s Attic and The Cubby Hole, two late-night hot spots, were vivid in my mind. I could remember dancing “shaking it like a salt shaker” and “moving my body like a cyclone” with my ΔΖ sisters! Isn’t it amazing how music can transport us like this?

Ladies of Delta Zeta at Sleepy Hollow - 2004
Music is a big part of who we are as a family. When I get ready in the mornings, I listen
Greg & Izzy playing guitar - 2010
to music and so does Greg. I grew up taking piano lessons, and Greg plays the guitar. Izzy has a keyboard and a karaoke machine… and a drum set is on the way! We often say that our life is like a musical; we love to change the words to songs and sing to Izz. There is just something about music that makes this world a better place!

We’ve always said that Bruno Mars’ “Just the Way You Are” is Izzy’s theme song. There are so many times that I’m drawn to the words, “When I see your face, there’s not a thing that I would change… ‘cause you’re amazing, just the way you are.” In a world that is constantly shoving expectations in your face, this song always helps me reflect on what is really important.

I’ve really been thinking a lot lately, though, about what my theme song would be… I’m still not sure, but I narrowed it down to the songs that would be on my life’s soundtrack.

Grandpa, me & those sunflowers!
"There’s A Tear in My Beer" by Hank Williams, Jr. - One time, I tried to request this song at church. Seriously. I confidently raised my hand in the air, leaned over to my mom and said, “I want to sing 'There’s a Tear in My Beer.'” I LOVED Hank Williams, Jr. as a child, and I have fond memories of listening to his music. However, I learned quickly at the age of five that there are some songs we will never sing at church! Listening to country music with my Grandpa reminds me of picking strawberries, digging potatoes, and posing next to the tallest sunflowers I’ve ever seen… all grown by my Grandpa. He is my hero.

"The Dance" by Garth Brooks - I will never forget when Garth Brooks first got his start. I had his cassette tape, Brooks. I was just getting familiar with his songs when we heard the news that my cousin, Jamie, had been accidentally shot while turkey hunting. It was devastating. I distinctly remember the funeral, sitting there as an eight-year-old when they played, "The Dance". But more than that, I remember Jamie. He had this way of captivating others. He had a contagious smile and the most positive attitude. Even though Jamie’s life was only a short fifteen years long, he lived it to the fullest. To this day, I try to live my life like Jamie’s. “Our lives are better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I’d have had to miss the dance.”

Lisa, Manda & me - 2004
"Semi-Charmed Kind of Life" by Third Eye Blind - I will never forget seeing Third Eye Blind play live at EdgeFest with Manda and Lisa. While I was definitely out of my comfort zone with some of the edgy personalities there, it was an awesome experience. Alternative music defines my teenage years, and now that I think about it, it’s perfect teenager music… a little angry, a little upbeat, very powerful lyrics. And, you know what? Every time I hear a song from the 90s, I can still sing along with EVERY SINGLE WORD. The words to those songs are forever a part of me. Oh, to go back to the 90s!

Friendship Baptist Church Youth Group - 1998
"Jesus Freak" by DC Talk - Lake Texoma Church Camp, water balloon fights, swimming with my t-shirt over my swimsuit, waiting in line at the payphone to call my mom, winning the 3-on-3 basketball tournament… that’s what this song reminds me of. I loved attending church camp each summer with my youth group, and we really grew closer to God during that one short week. As an adult, I think about all the hard work and effort that went into making sure 50+ kids made it safely through a week of church camp. As a kid, I never thought about it. Now I feel like I need to write a letter of thanks to my youth group leaders, camp counselors, and parents! 

Becky & Steve's Wedding - 2004
"Dixie Land Delight" by Alabama - In college, I was lucky to live with amazing roommates. One of my roommates married one of my best friends from high school! We have so many great memories together, and this song makes me think of Becky and Steve. I can’t count on my fingers and toes the number of times Steve played guitar and sang this song (and so many others) for us. It makes me think of dancing and happy times with two people who played a huge part in a very impressionable time in my life. Also, I’ll never forget when Steve played Forever by The Beach Boys Uncle Jesse from Full House at our wedding. What a sweet, sweet memory!

Brittany visited us in Baltimore in 2007
Every Song by George Strait - No really. Every song. How could I ever narrow it down? Every song by George Strait makes me smile and think of my best friend, Brittany. We knew we were soul mates when we learned of our common love for King George. We saw him in concert every time we had the chance, often driving four hours to OKC to get there! Just a couple of weeks ago, he was playing in Tulsa, and I received videos from Brit of George singing to us. I mean, he looked right at her, as if he were saying hello, and then started singing. I’m so grateful for the Strait-up, best friendship that was built on “The Chair”, “Amarillo by Morning”, and “Run”.

September 30, 2006
"Love Must Follow You Around" by Randy Rogers Band - This is our wedding song. Not only did Greg and I dance to this song, but this song also defines our love story. We met by chance and had a long-distance relationship for about a year before we were married. Then, Greg swept me off of my feet! We immediately moved to Baltimore after our wedding and then to Boston and Charlotte before settling in Houston. I’m glad that Greg’s love “tracked me down” and came “creepin’ in deeper than I have ever known”. Our journey together has been the greatest adventure.

My first half marathon - 2014
"Don’t Stop Believin’" by Journey - This is my power song. I’ve told myself that when it comes on, and I’m running, I can’t stop. I MUST run. Even if I’m dog-tired, I have to run. (Yes, I often talk to myself like this!) This song will always make me think of running, and how I achieved my goal of running a half marathon. 

So it’s very clear that I can’t think of just one song that defines me, my theme song. The songs I love are about others and my connection with those wonderful people. And, wow, the memories fill my soul. So, I know this: if my life’s soundtrack were a cassette tape, the whole B side would be full of Nelly, 50 Cent, and JayZ, and the A side would be full of songs that define special moments in my life. 

What songs are on your soundtrack? What are the lyrics that remind you of the special people and memories in your life? Let that magical, time-travelling quality of music instantaneously transport you back to those memories. Now if I could figure out a way to bottle and sell that magic, I could be a millionaire… yeah, whatever!

No comments:

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...