Monday, July 11, 2011

Whole30... I'm doing it: Day One

After a few days (a couple of different instances) of indulging in unhealthy food and beverage choices, I have decided to start my Whole30. (This is the Whole9 website explaining what a Whole30 is: http://whole9life.com/2011/06/whole-30-v4/) I have been getting pretty sick when I overindulge, so I decided I should just start my Whole30. Some other reasons why I was wanting to do a Whole30 is 1)I get migraines, and I don't want to anymore. 2) I pass out on occasion, and doctors have told me I'm hypoglycemic... I don't want to deal with that anymore either! Plus, I've noticed when I make healthy food choices, Izzy makes healthy food choices. She's sitting next to me right now munching on almonds for a snack. :)

Here are the things I will be eating:

  • Meat (beef, chicken, turkey, fish)

  • Vegetables

  • Fruit (mostly berries... I'm not cutting fruit out completely.)

  • Good Fats

  • Nuts


  • I've been quasi-paelo for the past six weeks or so, but there were a few things I just kept eating. The things that I will give up from my current diet:


  • Beans

  • Tortilla Chips

  • Coffee

  • Splenda

  • Wine


  • I've already ditched the Splenda, actually. I would only use two packets every day in my coffee, which I thought was good because it used to be about three teaspoons of sugar! For the last week I've had my coffee with almond milk, and I've pretty much realized that the only reason I ever liked coffee was because of the milk and sugar!

    I don't think the other four things will be that difficult.

    Here's what I've had to eat today:

    Day One
    Breakfast
    Strawberries and blueberries
    1 piece of bacon

    Snack
    Three pieces of turkey lunch meat (nitrate free, no MSG, preservatives or additives)

    Lunch
    One can of Central Market tuna (no soy, just tuna in water)
    Broccoli, carrots and sugar snap peas

    Snack
    Banana with almond butter (about two tablespoons)
    A few almonds

    For dinner tonight I plan on making stuffed bell peppers, a recipe that my friend (and I'm pretty sure the only person who reads my blog - ha!), Jenni, shared with me.

    Here's the link: http://balancedbites.com/2010/10/easy-recipe-italian-style-stuffed-peppers.html

    I know I can do this, but it's not going to be easy. I'm going to a baby shower and a wedding on Saturday. I'm sure there will be all kinds of sugary sweets tempting me, not to mention wine! But I'm a big girl... I won't succumb to a piece of wedding cake with buttercream frosting or an open bar... yeah, whatever!

    3 comments:

    Jenni (Mac) D said...

    Go Lora Go! :) I'm on day 15...I didn't go to sleep until midnight last night but still had the energy to wake up @ 5 in the morning and go workout...and I wasn't even groggy! I blame the food. :) And I hear you about the temptations...I have a baby shower to go to on Saturday and there will be cake and yumminess all OVER the place! We can be strong! Remember, I'm the girl who survived on Swiss Cake Rolls, M&Ms, cookies, soda, chips and fried chicken back in high school...if I can do this, ANYONE can. Looking forward to hearing your progress!!

    Lora said...

    Thank you so much for your encouragement, Jenni! It really means so much to just know that someone else is doing the same thing! That's a big motivator for me! And it makes me sick to think of the things I used to eat and love to eat! Bread literally makes me sick. I would have never thought that in a million years!

    Jenni (Mac) D said...

    Misery loves company...it's always good to know someone else is making the same sacrifices that you are for better health! I'm so glad that you're doing it!! Definitely post any recipes that you use because we like trying new things! :)

    2023: My Favorite Reads

     In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...