Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bakin' Bacon

My new favorite food is bacon. I eat it almost every day for breakfast. Izzy could live on bacon. It is soooo delicious, and I am so grateful that we don't have to eliminate it from our diet!

Just a week ago we were on our way home from Padre, and we stopped at this little Czech deli. They had the thickest cut bacon I had ever seen! Of course we bought a pound and cooked it up for breakfast the next morning. Wow! This was bacon on a whole different level. It was almost like eating ice cream it was so good! (I never thought I'd compare bacon-goodness to dessert!)

Since then, I've been on a quest to find the perfect bacon. This morning we tried peppered bacon from a local meat market... it paled in comparison to the thick cut Czech bacon. I'm thinking I already found the best bacon... and it's only an hour drive from our house to get that slab of bacon... just how can I rationalize driving my gas guzzler 60 minutes for bacon and only bacon? I think it's worth it... yeah, whatever!

One of Izzy's favorite snacks is turkey bacon. I found a recipe in the Primal Blueprint cookbook for a turkey bacon snack. It's almost like turkey jerky.

Bakin' Bacon
Turkey Bacon (you can bake as little or as much as you want! I buy the Applegate Farms turkey bacon.)

Cooking Racks (if you have them... I don't, so I just use a baking sheet)

Baking Sheet

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Lay turkey bacon slices on a baking sheet or on cooking racks on a baking sheet so the grease can drain (I find that turkey bacon doesn't really render a lot of grease and the cooking racks aren't needed). They should be close together but not overlapping. Cook for an hour and check for desired crispyness/chewiness. Check every 30 minutes thereafter.

I've cooked it too long, and it was super crunchy... I prefer it to be chewy, so an hour or hour and a half usually does it. I then tear the bacon into bite sized pieces and portion them into snack sized baggies (for Izzy).

2 comments:

Jenni (Mac) D said...

So I guess I need to try turkey bacon! I think I may have had it once but was mentally opposed to it (pig is the best). Turkey bacon "jerky" would be a good snack during the day! But yeah, baking bacon in the oven is pretty much the best thing on the planet. It makes the fat all crispy on the edges...ooooooh...yum! Also, for a non-paleo treat...chocolate covered bacon. I realize it sounds ridiculous, but it is GOOOOOD! BJ and I had it at a wedding rehearsal dinner as one of the hors d'oeuvres and OH. MAN. It was one of those things that make your eyes widen and your mouth water. Okay, now I'm hungry and want to go eat bacon. Dang.

Lora said...

Chocolate covered bacon, huh? That sounds different, but I bet it really is delicious! :)

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...