Sunday, March 5, 2023

Flying Through February!

And just like that, February comes to a close! This short month had me grabbing books I knew I’d quickly devour and left me with four books to recommend and one that was a flop.

The House Across the Lake: I was craving a thriller and was hoping to get my fix with this book. As I began reading, I enjoyed the flashbacks to “Then” and flashforwards to “Now” in the storytelling. More than once, I had to go back and reread as the story unfolded. The main character, Casey, uses alcohol to cope with the loss of her husband, and it blurs her interactions with her lake house neighbors. A neighbor goes missing, and Casey gets involved. This book gave me Girl on the Train and Gone Girl vibes. The twist at the end was interesting, and, honestly, it shifted my opinion about this book. I had more than one “oh geez” moment as I wrapped up this book. If you’re looking for a good thriller, pass on this one. 

Nora Goes Off Script: This book was a quick, easy, somewhat fluffy read. It felt a little too fluffy in the beginning, but halfway through the book, tension appeared, and had me waking up at 6 am to find out what happens to the main characters, Nora and Leo. I loved the contrast between Leo’s movie star life and Nora’s simple life. I especially loved envisioning the Tea Room on her property! The description of that room made me want to brew a cup of tea, grab my laptop and a few pencils, and write and read! 

"The best antidote to old memories is new ones."


The Office BFFs: If you are a fan of The Office, you must listen to this book on audio! I enjoyed listening to Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey narrate this book and share stories of friendship and behind the scenes happenings at Dunder Mifflin. I teared up listening to them talk about the finale. If you love this book, listen to The Office Ladies podcast! Jenna and Angela rewatch each episode and share more “fast facts” about their experience as actresses on the show. Highly recommend! 


"I wish there were a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them." -Andy Bernard



Promoting Rigor Through Higher Level Questioning: This book provides clear guidance on lifting the level of questioning in the classroom. Not only did I flag pages with question stems to support writing higher level questions, but I also flagged powerful research that supports best teaching practices. My favorite highlight from this book was this:


“Continue to reflect on your practice. If you ever get to the point in your teaching career where you say, ‘I’ve got this now,’ then you are doing something wrong. You will never ‘get this now’ because teaching is not made of widgets and programs - human beings are constantly evolving and changing… if you are teaching correctly, you will feel uncomfortable for 30-plus years…”


Taking Her to Mykonos (Kindle Unlimited) - This book was slow to start for me, and I had trouble tracking the characters at first. About halfway through, I was hooked! Four friends and sorority sisters relived an overseas backpacking trip to say a final goodbye to their friend Anna and spread her ashes in Mykonos, Greece. The final chapters had me sobbing and reflecting on living life to the fullest. 


A Court of Thorns and Roses: If as a young child, you, like me, were a bit disappointed when Beast turns back into a prince at the end of Beauty and the Beast, then A Court of Thorns and Roses is for you! I love the strong female main character, Feyre, and the hunky shapeshifting faerie who holds her captive.  into a magical world full of challenges and love. This is the first book in a series, so I know what I’m going to be reading for the next couple of months. Now if book two will just come available from the public library! Yeah, whatever! 

No comments:

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...