Thursday, May 21, 2009

More Like an AI Premiere Here...

Even though last night was the American Idol finale, I'm still hearing singing in my house.

Every year when American Idol starts, I try to convince Greg to audition for the show. It would be such a fun little road trip to drive to the nearest tryout destination... and if anything, maybe it would get him to stop singing during the commercials. It never fails. Every year during American Idol, Greg belts out Meatloaf's "I Would Do Anything For Love..." during EVERY commercial break. Sometimes he'll change it up. And sometimes he sings "Jericho Road."

Backstory on "Jericho Road": Nope, you've never heard this song before. It's a song that's been forever in the making. Well, at least since I've known Greg. He wants to write a song and that will be the name of it. Jericho Road. He'll play the guitar and hum and then sing "it happened on Jericho Road," or "all because of Jericho Road." There's no more or less to the song. Just simply the name. Oh, what I would give for Greg to make it big and finish writing "Jericho Road"!

But, of course, Greg won't give in to my persistant poking and prodding for him to try out. So maybe I could get a little help with that. Just nonchalantly mention to Greg that he's a musical genius... thanks!

Anyway, last night during the AI finale, we were watching Kris Allen sing with Keith Urban. I looked over at Greg, and he said, "I've got chills." 

He had this dead serious look on his face. Of course, I just laughed! And then he proceeded to tell me that he got "chills" three or four times after that! He's got to be the only man I know that would say that about Urban and Allen. It was a great performance, but sheesh! Boy, was I relieved when he rewinded the DVR to see Kara DioGuardi's bikini body again!

So then I asked Greg about when he gets on American Idol and makes it to the final two (this is how I always talk about Greg and AI... it's great, you should do it, too!), who they would choose as his celebrity musician equivilant. 

"Toby Keith," was his first response, followed by a quick chorus of "Whiskey For My Men, Beer For My Horses."

"Nope. Probably Alan Jackson," he said, changing his mind. "His songs are the only ones I can play really good on the guitar."

"Maybe Hank Williams, Jr.," he added.

Sounds to me like someone has been dreaming about his American Idol finale!

So, I just checked americanidol.com, and they will be holding auditions in Dallas at the Cowboys Stadium. Is that not fate or what? A less than five hour drive is between Greg and his destiny.

So come on. Help me out and encourage Greg to do this... I'm pretty sure that the age limit is 28, and Greg turns 29 in November. That will be a good point when you're trying to convince him to try out! If he doesn't try this year, then he'll never be able to again. He'll never know what could have been... and then he'll just be an old man without an American Idol title... yeah, whatever!

No comments:

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...