Monday, April 6, 2009

Baggage Claimed!

"I carry my baggage in my hair... so I chopped it off."

That's what my friend Mel said when she told me that she got the super cute new Addison-from-"Private Practice" haircut.

Hmm... that made me think, where do I carry my baggage?

Well, I started seriously thinking about that... and for the past year or so, I haven't taken very good care of myself. I let myself go just a bit. I kinda thought that's what you do when you become a mother. You put everyone else before yourself. You don't get dressed up anymore, and what's the point of doing your makeup and hair?

It was almost as if I was feeling sorry for myself for being a mom... I was starting to become a mommy-martyr. You know, that mom that has such a rough life staying at home with her kids, and she usually runs herself too thin, not taking time for herself and feeling sorry for herself all at the same time! Poor, poor pitiful me... I've got to stay at home, sweep the floors and wear mom-jeans.

Whoa! I don't think so! I definitely don't want to be lumped into that category!

But there I was, carrying my mommy-martyr baggage in the form of extra pounds, cellulite and an awful Casper-the-Friendly ghost complexion... things that are so not me. Why would I let my life's circumstances define me? I have always been the type of person to take control of a situation and make the best of it...

So I did just that. I decided to start working out, eating better and make sure that I get plenty of "me" time. I've been visiting the gym regularly, and I'm on the road to losing that baggage... both physically and emotionally. It's nice to just get away for just a little bit every day. Just me, my iPod and the treadmill.

I thought it was going to be hard to get motivated to work out, but lately, I've been looking forward to that hour in the gym... and not just because I have time to myself and a killer body to look forward to. Every time I go to the gym there's somone in there that makes me laugh.

Last night there was an older man working out, wearing a yellow polo and blue soccer shorts. After walking on the treadmill for approximately five minutes at a very slow pace, he proceeded to the weight machines where he lifted less weight than even I would! In between machines he walked around with his shoulders back and his chest all puffed out... he thought he was a stud!

And there's another younger Asian guy that's always in the gym on the elliptical going as s l o w as he possibly can! I don't know if he doesn't know how to work the machine or what?!

I'll never forget the time I was running on the treadmill and there was a guy lifting weights and in between sets he'd go over to the window, look at his reflection and do punches! It never failed... every time he'd finish, he'd head to that same window and punch!

Now that I've changed the mommy-martyr perspective on my life, it's almost time for my stay-at-home status to change. I have to admit, I'm going to miss it. I've got a pretty sweet gig hanging out every day with Izzy. We eat grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, play with toys, read books and go shopping together. It's almost like being a kid again. Izzy's really brought back a child-like spark to my life. There's nothing like spending time with that little girl and making her smile... except maybe watching that crazy guy punch an imaginary person in the gym! Yeah, whatever!

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Great blog sis! It makes me do some thinking too. How are the workouts going? I need to get started again. Maybe this is what I need to do, figure out where I carry my baggage..I'm kinda in a slump right now, but I am loving doing Addison's hair..maybe I need to be a professional fixer of little girls hair! Anyways, hope you guys have a good Easter weekend. Can't wait to see pictures of Izzy!

2023: My Favorite Reads

 In 2023, I set these book goals: Read 60 books. Gift the books in my TBR stack after reading them. Write! Use this creative outlet to keep ...